Call For Papers
Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation: Applications, Methodology, Technology (JDMS)
Special Issue: Verification, Validation and Accreditation in Modeling & Simulation
Verification, Validation and Accreditation (VV&A) is key in making models and their subsequent simulations applicable for trustworthy analyses and decision support in defense, safety, or emergency response modeling, and a proxy for hardware test and evaluation (T&E). VV&A is especially important right now due to increasing complexity of models and simulations being applied, as well as the contemporary emphasis on cost savings and increased interest in virtual tool sets in all aspects of analyses, training and technology development, deployment and maintenance.
This special issue is therefore interested in novel / emerging modeling and simulation VV&A techniques and processes that facilitate design, development, production and deployment of models that effectively trade for their physical counterparts in reducing T&E cost and / or time over the lifecycle of models from individual systems to enterprise descriptions. Potential contributions can include but are not limited to:
- Use of accredited models to trade for range time / physical testing (e.g., computational fluid dynamics vs. wind tunnel testing) to save time / cost
- Quality improvements via design changes in the virtual world prior to physical realization
- Novel / emerging quality assurance processes / products / tools especially for defense, safety, or emergency response M&S
- Modeling combined and joint information operations across the full spectrum of operations
- Means to evaluate effectiveness of integrated V&V processes and of accredited systems' operations
- Integration of accredited models systems into legacy defense models (e.g., technology insertion)
- Standard "-ilities" via risk, schedule, cost & performance
- Materiel / Non-Materiel Effectiveness Evaluation Techniques accredited models
- Course of Action Development / Analysis and Architecture / System mix
- Rare or unexpected event modeling
- Validity of simulations used for data farming
- Practical experiences or case studies including cost-benefit considerations
Papers submitted should not be concurrently under review at another conference, journal or similar venue.
Instructions for Manuscript Preparation
For manuscript formatting and other guidelines, please visit the Author Guidelines for JDMS.
Note: Manuscripts must not have been previously published or be submitted for publication elsewhere. Each submitted manuscript must include title, names, authors' affiliations, postal and e-mail addresses, and a list of keywords. For multiple author submission, please identify the corresponding author.
Submission of Abstracts
Abstracts should be sent to Dr. Axel Lehmann by April 30, 2011.
|Submission of Abstracts
||April 30, 2011
|Full papers due
||September 30, 2011
|Notification of acceptance
||December 30, 2011
|Submission of final (revised) papers
||February 28, 2012
Submissions for full paper review
All manuscripts must be submitted electronically through the paper submission system to the JDMS Manuscript Submission System. Manuscripts must be formatted in single-column pdf format, double-spaced, and use 12pt fonts. In the title page, author(s) must specifically mark that the paper is intended for this special issue as follows: "Verification, Validation and Accreditation in Modeling & Simulation".
Final paper submissions
Each final submission must be prepared based on the Simulation journal requirements (see the Author Guidelines for JDMS page).
For questions contact the editor at: